Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pierre Hermé Macaron - Caramel au Beurre Salé

Today was an odd day. Both good and bad. Ever have one of those days? I won't dwell on the bad...instead, I prefer to savor only the good: a macaron. I, like most people, just love these little almond-meringue biscuit treats. I'm partial to the small, little ones that are oh-so-easy to eat. On top of that, the small size doesn't make you feel like you are over-indulging, even if you have more than one, or two. Or three.

I followed a recipe today from the Pierre Hermé Macaron book (left). For me, he is the king of macarons. I really like what he does. I tried a favorite flavor, caramel au beurre salé (caramel made with salted butter). I'm thrilled to say that they turned out tasting pretty Hermé-authentic, if I do say so myself. He's got a great book, if this recipe is anything to go by.

I was in a bit of a rush making them this morning, when my day started out all nice & promising....so I don't have a single photo to share with you on the process. But, I can show you the end result. It might bring back a few memories to those who have visited Paris, or who have previously lived here... Hopefully, it will entice you to come back for another visit! Can a macaron really do that? Well, maybe. These little treasures really are that good. If squeezing a trip to Paris isn't in the budget or on the calendar, then having a macaron at home may be the next best thing. I'll post the recipe the next time I try making a different Hermé flavor. I think pistachio is calling my name. Until then, happy macaron-day to everyone.



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! My husband and I went to Paris for our honeymoon and experienced Macarons for the first time. We felt like pigs going back each day and would run back to our hotel down the street to eat them in the secrecy of our room. Our absolute favorite flavor was caramel, but it wasn't the real caramel that I see in so many recipes. It looked like what I see in the picture you posted... a melt in your mouth cream, not the sticky, gooey caramel I've seen in other places. I don't see the recipe attached here. Do you think you could send it to me?

girlcookinparis said...

Hi Katie! Congrats on your wedding, & honeymooning in Paris. Yeah, I think you describe the caramel filling perfectly!! Lots of people have been asking for the macaron recipe, so I'm going to post it very soon. There's one key ingredient: almond powder. Is that easy to find where you're at? Best regards, diane

Unknown said...

OH Thank you so much! If I can't get almond powder here I'll find a way if it means I get to experience these wonderful treats again. We have a couple specialty stores and co-ops here to check out. If not, I'm sure I can get some online.

Thanks again!

Edd said...

HI the macarons look amazing. I have the recipe in french which is fine for the most park but translating the bit about the filling confuses me. My translating says that I should whisk the butter for 8 minutes before incorporating but I would have thought it meant beat with the paddle could you tell me which is right as your filling looks great

girlcookinparis said...

Hi Edd, I used my KitchenAid with the whisk attachment. The butter was first brought to room temp, sitting on the counter for ~2 hours before using it. You know the whisking is done when the texture becomes fluffy & the color lightens up (~ 8-10 min for me).

(Note: I use the paddle attachment when the butter is really hard & needs to be worked...and I use the whisk attachment when it's soft & I want to make it light & fluffy....that's just what I do - thought I'd share that!).

Let me know how it turns out. The filling is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME....the best recipe ever, in my opnion! best regards, diane

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Diane
Did you ever post the recipe for these macarons? I tried to find it on your blog but didn't see it.

Since I (recently) became a stay-at-home dad I've had the strange desire to master these things. I really should have picked something easier for my first attempt at baking but sometimes you just gotta jump in with both feet.

I've made the Chocolate macarons from P.H.'s chocolate dessert book (They tasted pretty good IMHO) but I haven't been able to find a recipe for the Caramel au Beurre Salé yet. Could you please send me a copy? Please please please???

The Caramel au Beurre Salé macarons were one of my favourites when I first discovered the glorious macaron on my first trip to Paris several years ago. My other favs are Mogador and Olive oil et vanille.
...huh, all the savouy ones

Thank you.

girlcookinparis said...

OK, I can't believe it's been three months since I said I'd post this...oops! sorry 'bout that! I promise to post it next week. dma

girlcookinparis said...

The recipe is finally posted on another page. Here's the link:

http://girlcookinparis.blogspot.com/2009/09/macaron-caramel-au-beurre-sale.html

Let me know how they turn out!

diane

LRoy said...

I love your blog - I am a photographer and I love the photos too. I also love macarons. I have been searching online for the Pierre Herme Macaron book in English - do you know if this exists? In the meantime, I am looking forward to trying your posted recipe! Thanks.