Thursday, October 2, 2008

Working for a temp agency specializing in Restaurant work

I started doing temp work recently as a way to continue working professionally, while at the same time, allowing me to search for a good job fit. I stopped waiting for the perfect job to fall into my lap (silly dream!), and started seriously looking for a position in the right kitchen, meaning one doing cuisine gastronomique, having a good team, small restaurant, respectful environment. I know I'm asking for a lot. And, I'm a little more discriminating these days on what I'm accepting....which not surprisingly is extending my job search time line!

Temp work seemed like the perfect solution. It's been kind of a strange experience to say the least, but that's not to say it's negative. Not at all. First, let's just say that doing this in a foreign language is a challenge....but, OK, my french has improved enough to receive a work contract from the temp agency. They tested me out on my first job - I guess to see if I'd show up because the job itself wasn't interesting at all. I only did mis en place all day, however, it gave me entrée into an Alaine Ducasse bistro/restaurant. Another reason I wanted to do temp work is to see other professional kitchens and their organization. I was impressed with this one: good lighting, lots of work space, and good control of ingredients. A good point of reference.

Every job I go to throws me into a different adventure. Certainly variety is one of the benefits of doing temp work, but you also need to be extremely flexible to handle whatever situation you're thrown into! Let me tell you about my last few days....

Well, I think I'll have to do another post on my adventures with a top traiteur (caterer) in Paris. I just got home from work, and don't have the energy to put any more words together coherently. I'm exhausted after working 10.5 hours straight...

So, à bientôt (see you later),
dma

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Je peux proposer very ggod job but not good paiment, cuisinière chez moi dans la France du Sud Ouest.
foolish Brigitte

girlcookinparis said...

Ha, ha. I love your sense of humour, s-i-l!!